Computer & Internet Law
Computer & Internet Law
Please find enclosed an introduction article below and for current cases, please read the cases on our home page.
Computer and Internet law (which is really a branch of computer law) covers many types of law such as agreements, tax law, intellectual property and corporate and commercial law. Internet or Cyberspace Law deals with issues that arise over the Internet and are of great interest to those that own or manage web sites or are involved in commerce over the Internet. An important part of Computer Law is the licensing and acquisition of hardware and software. The contracts involve allocating the risks among the parties and hence their negotiation is very important. In this article, which is intended not as legal advice but as general information, only the following areas are briefly discussed:
- Issues Regarding the Internet for Web Site Owners
- Types of Agreements for the Internet
- Types of Agreements in the Computer Law Area
- Protection for Computer Software
Issues Regarding the Internet for Web Site Owners:
You are an owner or manager of a business with a web page. What steps should you take to protect your business from legal issues? What contracts need to be drafted? What policies must be put into place? What are your potential liabilities?
Types of Internet Agreements
Web site owners operate in a legally complex environment and there are many risks. It is vital for web site owners to have appropriate contracts in place in order to minimize risks. In order to determine what legal contracts you need, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I develop web sites for companies and organizations? If so, you need a web site development agreement.
- Do I have a domain name? You should consider registering appropriate trade marks in appropriate jurisdictions to protect your domain name to protect against loss of your domain name.
Following is a brief description of each of these different types of agreements.
- Web Site Development Agreement: This agreement defines the rights and obligations between the person developing the site (the developer) and the owner of the web site. It defines the fees that must be paid by the owner as well as provides for the specifications of the web page to be built. It can define limitations of liability for the developer.
- Web Site Hosting Agreement: This agreement defines the rights and obligations between a serving provider that host webs sites of people and businesses and the web site owner. The agreement will define fees, service levels, security measures as well as limitations of liability.
- Internet Access Agreements: This agreement defines the rights and obligations between the Internet services provider (ISP) and the user who gains access to the Internet. It defines payment for the services, service levels, security measures as well as limitations of liability.
The information provided should not be regarded or relied upon as the provision of legal advice or a substitute for individual legal advice. The information published on this site is provided for educational and reference purposes only. It is not intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal or other professional advice. You should not act upon the information without seeking professional counsel. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific facts and circumstances of each case. Aspects of the law also vary between jurisdictions so some of the information provided on this site may not be correct for your jurisdiction.
Members of LAW FOR INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY have extensive experience in computer science, project management and systems and hence understand your business. LAW4IT.COM applies this experience to assist you in meeting your goals and solving and preventing problems.
We are a law firm which practice concentrates on computer, Internet, entertainment, business, intellectual property, privacy law and related matters. We register and prosecute Canadian and American Trade Marks. LAW4IT.COM provides services in the following major areas:
- Computer & Internet Law
- Intellectual Property
- Entertainment, Multimedia and Advertising Law
- Corporate, Commercial & Business Law and
- Related Matters
Internet Law Services
LAW4IT.COM has experience in the following areas of Internet Law:
- Web Site Development Agreement
- Internet Access Agreement
- Web Site Hosting Agreement
- Privacy Law and Terms
- Minimize Risks
Computer Law Services
LAW4IT.COM has experience in the following areas of Computer Law:
- Software Licensing
- Independent Contractor Agreements
- Computer Hardware / Software Agreements
- Outsourcing Agreement
- Computer Service Agreement
- Maintenance Agreements
- Distribution Agreement
- other agreements & matters
If you need practical legal advice from someone who has worked in and understands your business, please contact LAW4IT